Lawyers Alliance helps advocacy organizations with business and transactional law matters, understanding laws on lobbying and political activity, and legislation. The Advocacy Initiative strengthens the public policy impact of the nonprofit sector.
Clients include nonprofit organizations that promote civic participation and public policy discussion, advocate for legislative initiatives affecting low-income individuals and families and the organizations that serve them, promote racial and immigrant justice, provide technical assistance, foster community organizing, and otherwise engage in or support nonprofit advocacy.
In addition, Lawyers Alliance engages in advocacy at the city, state, and federal levels on core issues affecting the nonprofit sector and in our five program priority areas.
Read Lawyers Alliance's Legal Alerts on advocacy issues here.
Read Lawyers Alliance's recent testimony and other advocacy documents:
- New York Lobbyists and Their Clients Must Complete New Mandatory Training (January 11, 2023)
- Lobbying Compliance FAQs for New York Nonprofits - updated (January 11, 2023)
- Nonprofits Involved in New York City Land Use and Zoning Processes Should be Aware of Federal Limits on Lobbying Activity and State and Local Lobbying Disclosure Requirements (January 5, 2023)
- 501(c)(3) Public Charities Can Support or Oppose Ballot Measures But Must Comply with IRS Limits and Campaign Finance Rules (updated July 27, 2022)
- Large In-Kind Donations to, and Speech by, Certain 501(c)(4)s May Trigger Obligation to Report to New York Department of State (updated July 7, 2022)
- Comments on Proposed 19 NYCRR Part 146 (March 18, 2021)
- New NY State Lobbying Rules Take Effect (January 6, 2021)
- New York Lobbying Compliance Resources for Nonprofit Organizations (November 21, 2019)
- Obligations of Directors, Officers, and Managers of Organizations That Register to Lobby (November 8, 2018)
- Advocacy Coalition Agreements (September 25, 2017)
- Nonprofit Organizations Can Speak Out About Controversial Government Actions (January 31, 2017)
- Tips for Public Charities That Make Grants to Advocacy Groups (October 26, 2016)
- Lobbying Compliance Checklist (June 9, 2014)
Learn More About Lawyers Alliance
Community Impact | Community Arts | Economic Opportunity | Housing and Human Services
Quality Education | Urban Health | Advocacy | National Leadership | Risk Management | Disaster Relief | Coronavirus Information