Lawyers Alliance provides legal assistance and information to strengthen nonprofits that are providing critical human and social services during health care emergencies, or helping people prepare for or respond to acts of terrorism, natural disasters, and other tragedies.
Check our Coronavirus Information webpage for information on the pandemic.
Lawyers Alliance is experienced in helping nonprofits navigate unexpected disasters. Our Executive Director spearheaded our past disaster relief efforts, and our staff is eager to help with current challenges. We launched our Disaster Relief Initiative in the aftermath of September 11, 2001, to assist nonprofits affected by the disaster and those that were responding to it. In 2012 in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, Lawyers Alliance represented and provided legal information to New York nonprofits assisting disaster victims. We helped nonprofits with disaster relief legal matters related to fundraising and grant-making, expansion and downsizing, real estate contingencies, and compliance with tax-exempt organizations law. In 2022 we stand ready to assist nonprofits again as needs arise.
Click here for Internal Revenue Service information, as of March 2020, for charities and contributors concerned about disaster relief.
We offer free downloadable copies of our disaster relief publications and news alerts as guides:
- COVID-19 FAQs for Nonprofits (updated June 2022)
- Legal Issues in Nonprofit Administration of Emergency Grants and Financial Assistance (2017)
- FEMA Public Assistance Grants - Appeals Process (2013)
- IRS Tax Relief for Victims of Hurricane Sandy (2012)
- Disaster Unemployment Assistance (2012)
- Government Aid Available to Nonprofits for Disaster Relief (2013)
- Hurricane Sandy - Temporary Changes to Rules for Projects Financed with Low-Income Housing Tax Credits (2012)
- Operating a Disaster Relief Program (2013)
- Employment Law Issues Related to Hurricane Sandy (2013)
- Commercial Real Estate Lease Issues Related to Hurricane Sandy (2012)
- Insurance Coverage Issues Related to Hurricane Sandy (2012)
- Legal Guidance for New York Nonprofits in the Wake of Katrina (2005)
- Disaster Relief and Recovery: The Role of Nonprofits Beyond Ground Zero and the Legal Implications of Their Work (2003)
- Disaster Relief Legal Q&As (2002)
- Lawyers Alliance Disaster Relief Initiative 2001-2003
When disaster or crises strike and New York nonprofits are victims or responders, Lawyers Alliance stands ready to provide immediate assistance through telephone consultations, emergency trainings, and outreach to help nonprofits keep pace with emerging
For more information:
Call (212) 219-1800 or contact email@example.com.
Learn More About Lawyers Alliance
Community Impact | Community Arts | Economic Opportunity | Housing and Human Services
Quality Education | Urban Health | Advocacy | National Leadership | Risk Management | Disaster Relief | Coronavirus Information