Development Director - Nonprofit Serving Nonprofits
Founded in 1969, Lawyers Alliance for New York is a leader in the field of business law and transactional pro bono. It provides legal assistance to nonprofit organizations and social enterprises that improve the lives of low-income and disadvantaged New Yorkers. With a talented staff of 24, annual budget of $3.6 million, and 2,000 legal volunteers, Lawyers Alliance serves more than 1,000 organizations each year. This legal assistance translates to stronger nonprofit programs, finances, and operations.
Looking forward, Lawyers Alliance plans to provide more and better services to nonprofits working in low-income neighborhoods and communities of color throughout New York City and continue to have a positive impact on pandemic recovery and economic renewal. In the coming years, it also seeks to expand its nonprofit advocacy and national pro bono leadership roles.
Development Director Position
Lawyers Alliance seeks a Development Director to support and advance its plans. The Development Director is responsible for the management, growth, and diversification of a multi-faceted and effective development program. In addition to being a strategic, creative, and methodical thinker and fundraiser, the Development Director must be an adaptive and engaged project manager. The Development Director will report to the Executive Director and be part of the management team.
- Collaborate with the Board and management staff to prepare and implement a comprehensive annual fundraising plan to achieve budgeted goals for contributed revenues from foundations, law firms, individuals, corporations, and special events.
- Lead the expansion of private foundation funding by securing contributions from new private foundation funders and increased grants from existing funders.
- Research and prepare clear and persuasive letters of inquiry, grant proposals, donor appeals, and reports to foundations, including those that emphasize Lawyers Alliance’s work with nonprofits focused on economic opportunity, housing and shelter, quality education, urban health, and community arts.
- Develop and execute the Business Law & Leadership Gala, an annual celebration that raises the organization’s visibility and generally nets more than $500,000 a year.
- Plan and direct a successful annual law firm appeal, chaired by a law firm managing partner, to raise more than $900,000 in annual support.
- Guide and engage current and prior Board members in meaningful development opportunities and cultivate individual donor relationships.
- Create and oversee timely individual appeals, conduct strategic outreach to banks and corporations, and pursue relevant government funding opportunities.
- Supervise the work of mid-level and junior development staff (1.5 positions) and support their professional growth.
- Assist in in preparation of the annual operating budget, financial and cash flow reports, and other development, finance, program, marketing, and management activities, as needed.
- Work collaboratively across the organization and with multiple external audiences.
Experience and Attributes
- At least seven years of fundraising experience with increasing responsibility; Bachelor’s degree.
- Substantial experience with all aspects of private foundation fundraising.
- Demonstrated experience organizing and executing complex or multiple time-sensitive fundraising projects and events involving many participants and deadlines.
- Clear and compelling writer and speaker; strategic, creative, thoughtful, and methodical fundraiser; and constructive collaborator.
- Desire and flexibility to take on new and varied challenges, with an eye for both near-term and long-range goals.
- Technologically savvy and able to make the most of relational databases and multiple communication tools to reach donors.
- Familiarity with the legal sector and/or fundraising for a nonprofit organization providing technical assistance to other organizations is a plus.
This position offers competitive compensation and strong benefits. Salary will be set commensurate with experience and responsibilities.
This position is being announced in summer 2021 and will begin once filled. It temporarily is primarily remote, but it is likely to return to primarily in-person in September 2021 with some continued flexibility for certain work to be done remotely.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to DDsearch@lawyersalliance.org as soon as possible. The cover letter should articulate why candidate is interested in being part of Lawyers Alliance at this time.
If you want to join knowledgeable and passionate colleagues who enjoy making a difference, consider applying now. Lawyers Alliance for New York is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive environment and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Printable PDF File
back to top