Director of Operations
Founded in 1969, Lawyers Alliance for New York is a leader in the field of business law and transactional pro bono. It provides legal and educational services to nonprofit organizations and social enterprises that improve the lives of low-income and disadvantaged New Yorkers. With a talented staff of 24, annual budget of $3.6 million, and 2,000 legal volunteers, Lawyers Alliance serves more than 1,000 organizations each year. This legal assistance translates to stronger nonprofit programs, finances, and operations.
A current priority is helping nonprofits with pandemic and economic recovery. The organizations that Lawyers Alliance assists are providing and advocating for economic opportunity, quality education, housing and shelter, food security and urban health, community arts, and other vital human services.
Lawyer Alliance is creating a new operations position that is focused on developing, managing, and improving organizational practices and procedures that cut across all aspects of Lawyers Alliance’s work. Applicants should be experienced operations professionals interested in nonprofit capacity-building.
- Develop and manage procedures and plans for return to office procedures, pandemic-driven offsite work, facilities and equipment usage, disaster preparedness, and other workplace operations. Supervise maintenance of and changes to organization’s facilities and equipment.
- Examine, propose, and implement technology-based tools and approaches to advance the evolving goals of the organization. Near term priorities include digital solutions to enhance internal and external communications and knowledge management. Oversee maintenance and improvements of information technology systems and data security.
- Manage all aspects of employee benefits, update and maintain personnel policies and records, organize and support staff recruitment, onboard staff, coordinate consultants if needed, and support a trusting, inclusive, and productive environment.
- Research, negotiate, and implement organization’s insurance options, policies, and claims.
- Supervise the work of office administrator, information technology manager, and other staff or consultants as assigned, and support their professional growth and effectiveness.
- Manage and oversee relationships with landlord and building management, vendors, and other contractors and oversee purchasing and expense control.
- Assist finance staff and/or outside financial consultant with preparation of financial analyses, operating budget, forecasting, and other financial needs related to operations as requested.
- Assist with strategic planning, outcomes measurement, funding applications and reports, and other administrative, program, and management activities as needed.
Experience and Attributes
- College degree required; advanced degree or significant training in business administration, nonprofit management, or related field is helpful.
- At least eight years of relevant professional experience, with increasing responsibility.
- Productive project manager, with success organizing and executing multiple complex or time-sensitive projects involving many facts, participants and deadlines.
- Technically proficient and technologically savvy. Experience exporting and analyzing data, managing technology staff, vendors, and installations. Comfortable using a relational database to advance operations and proficient in Excel.
- Strategic thinker; effective negotiator with external parties; clear and compelling writer and speaker; flexible and constructive collaborator.
- The ideal candidate has experience taking responsibility for the quality and content of work product, recommendations, and procedures, and preferably has overseen administrative, human resources, and insurance functions previously.
- Interest in joining organization that promotes volunteerism and legal services for nonprofits.
If you want to join knowledgeable and passionate colleagues who enjoy making a difference, consider applying now. This position offers competitive compensation and strong benefits. Anticipated salary is $90,000 to $100,000, depending on experience.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to OPsearch@lawyersalliance.org as soon as possible. Provide a brief explanation in your cover letter of what interests you in this position at this time and how your interest or experience relates to Lawyers Alliance’s work.
Lawyers Alliance for New York is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive environment and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced in spring 2021 and will begin once filled.
Printable PDF File
Back to Top